Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Of all the people in fashion...

When my focus in fashion first began to shift from styling and art directing to fashion journalism in 2007 I was primarily excited for the opportunity to interview the designers. I love having conversations with those that create art and craft designs. For me it goes back to the intense backstage conversations I had with my fellow actors during or after rehearsal when I was in the theater. I was hungry to learn the complex and unique processes that each designer had of creating designs and collections. I was and never have been disappointed by those conversations. When you speak to the best of the best no matter what the field they are de facto interesting. What I never expected and was happily surprised by was how intriguing some of the other people that populate the fashion industry are. Pattern makers, textile reps, heads of PR firms, and a host of other professionals have taught me so much and helped me learn the fundamental truths about fashion today. As well as being a delight to run into whether it's at events or shows. Out of the great number of fashion professionals I deal with everyday there are a few that stand out to me because of their poise, strength, and style. Oddly enough they're all women and they're all heads of wonderful PR firms. They are featured below. Enjoy this snapshot of three of my favorite women in fashion.

Libby Haan


Brands- Monique Lhuillier, Araks, Thakoon, Creatures of the Wind, Roland Mouret


Why I'm a fan- Libby's a force. She comes across as no-nonsense and she's done great things for her brands. She's very protective of her clients and can smell B.S a mile away. If you're a designer who needs a kick in the pants she's your rep. 






Elizabeth Musmanno 
Brands- Vivienne Tam, David Webb, Kaufman Franco, Lyn Devon, Vigoss, William Goldberg


Why I'm a fan- You wouldn't know it from the photo but Elizabeth is a warm and joyful person, her enthusiasm and passion for her brands are contagious and she's a calming and steadily positive presence for her brands with deep connections in the industry and a great reputation. If you need to feel backed up she's perfect for you.






Megan Maguire Steele
Photo by my friend Aeric Meredith Goujon for a piece on modaCYCLE

Brands- Billy Reid, Alejandro Ingelmo, Richard Chai, Florsheim by Duckie Brown, Verlaine, General Idea

Why I'm a fan- Megan's strengths are her vision and instincts. She has an uncanny ability to translate a brand's core positives into a message and then to broadcast them in a way that can make it compelling to press. If you think nobody gets you or your designs than you need Megan Maguire Steele.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I crave your thoughts. You will give them to me...Now!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Design Matters

Total Pageviews