Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Design, Matters.

Last night I was very pleased to chat with Richard Chai at his event to help DIFFA: Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS. Mr. Chai partnered with Effen Vodka to create a one of a kind dress that will be auctioned off to benefit the charity.
From Last Night

Richard Chai & Creation...oh and Hillary Rhoda :)


The title of my blog could just as easily be ,"Design, Matters", as that expresses how I judge fashion design. Is what I'm looking compelling or pleasing? Are it's elements balanced, and of course is it well made? Many of the thousands of designs I look at each year spring from a promising concept, some of them are at least generally well executed. But far to many of them fall apart when they get to the finer points of finishing and function. My too brief conversation with Mr.Chai did touch on one very important element that goes into every successful design, details. The word details means to too many people small things that are secondary to the whole of the product. But in fashion design get the details wrong and you wreck the whole design. My favorite example these days is pocket size. Any designer who does not create at least one pocket on their designs that is executed specifically to make storing and reaching a smart phone easy is being very foolish. Sometimes the failure to perfectly execute a detail is due to rushing at the end of a design. Designers must realize that the design is never complete until the details are perfected.
R
I
C
H
A
R
D

C
H
A

R
E
S
O
R
T

2
0
1
3











Another Example of perfect detailing- Barbara Bui Resort 2013  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I crave your thoughts. You will give them to me...Now!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Design Matters

Total Pageviews