Thursday, May 16, 2013

How to be professional about money.

It seems as if there is a general lack of understanding about money's role to individuals in fashion so I thought I'd create a simple guide of how to be professional in your dealings with money that you will use to get people to do things for you.

1. MONEY IS NEVER A CASUAL THING.

2. Don't EVER promise a date of payment without really thinking about it. Make sure that you are 100% sure that as of the date in question you will send or deliver the amount you owe. People can't budget their finances without knowing exactly when they will get paid. When you fail to meet a date you can really mess up someone's life and lives of others who they promised they would pay because they depended upon you to be good to your word. Remember, an unkept promise is a lie you just gave birth to.

3. If you think there's no cost to you for playing games with money you owe; YOU'RE WRONG. There's a secret conversation in fashion that's in perpetual motion. It could be titled, "What's so and so's word worth?". It's happening right now, via text, and phone, Facebook and Gmail chat. I do it all the time, I have sources in the industry who know every single store's payment history. When they approach a client of mine I make a request and I get the truth, then I tell my client to go ahead or steer clear. The store will never know that it's their specific past history that's making the decision for me. Just cause you didn't see the consequence of your lies and poor behavior doesn't mean it didn't happen.

4. If your fundamental approach to paying people who've done work for you is, "how can I get the most out of this for me." You're a selfish prick and eventually PEOPLE WILL STOP WORKING WITH YOU. Your reputation will turn to shit and you'll only end up being able to deal with other people who are just as nasty as you are. Keep it simple, Negotiate, Contract, Honor the Contract.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I crave your thoughts. You will give them to me...Now!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Design Matters

Total Pageviews